Sunday, November 6, 2011

TA e-meeting: November 7 , 2011

Hi Ladies,

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!


I.                    Open floor
II.                  Meeting with Don
III.                Monday (Nov 7)
IV.                Wednesday (Nov 9)
V.                  Friday (Nov 11)
VI.                The blog


I.                    Questions and/or comments?
II.                  Haley, thanks for organizing this meeting with Don on Nov 10.  As I said last week, I have class at 2:30 that day, so I will be unable to attend.  I’m looking forward to hearing about what ideas arise from your discussion!
III.                On Monday, we will discuss how to effectively structure a persuasive composition.  This presentation is text-heavy; however, I like it because it provides several concrete examples of well-crafted (also, not-well crafted) theses/introductions, organized body paragraphs (using the stacked or one-by-one method, and reflective conclusions.  I was thinking about turning the slides about thesis statements into an activity—maybe giving the students a worksheet with the various non-effective thesis statement examples and asking the students to tell me the flaws in the statements?  Thoughts?
IV.                On Wednesday, we will have our second guest speaker—Jordana Lenon, who is communications director for the UW Primate Center.  Jordana was one of our speakers last semester and she did a fantastic job—her talk was timely and fit nicely into our persuasion unit….Usually, when we have a guest speaker, I try to stick around all day and play host.  However, on Wednesdays I have a seminar from 12-2:30; it’s a once-a-week class so I can’t skip.  Can each of us try to be accommodating of Jordana before and during our sections?  Also, I typically offer to buy the guest speaker lunch.  Heather or Molly, could one of you please offer to buy Jordan something from the café next door.  I’ll pay you back!
V.                  I feel like this entire lecture is repetitive, because we’ve already addressed emotion appeals and audience types in previous lectures.  I was thinking that we should use this day to review persuasive concepts or discuss anything that we may not have had time for in the previous week’s lectures.  Or, we could come up with some practice activities for the students. Thoughts?
VI.                FYI:  From now on, I will email everyone a notice whenever I post meeting notes to the blog.  I know it’s sometimes difficult to remember to check the blog (especially on weekends), so hopefully this will help.

See you tomorrow!

Camille

2 comments:

  1. So, it seems that I totally missed the email exchanges regarding Haley's amended lectures for this week. My bad! Somehow those messages got lost in the shuffle with the one's about grading and the upcoming meeting with Don. Thanks for your great work Haley! The revised Nov 7 lecture looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up ... otherwise I wouldn't have thought to look (sigh)

    ReplyDelete