Saturday, October 15, 2011

Demo speeches

Demo speeches begin on Monday! This is my favorite part of the semester. It's (almost) two weeks of not teaching, and the students (usually) demonstrate some really cool processes.

A few things:

  • We will tape the each of our students' speeches using the Flip cam in Rm 111.  I'll set up the Flip cam and the tripod every morning and make sure that it has a fresh set of batteries.  That being said...
  • The Flip cam does not have the best battery life.  Once upon a time, we had a rechargeable battery pack for the Flip, but it went ka-put; since Flip cams were discontinued earlier this year, we can't purchase another one.  So, we will be energizing the Flip with regular batteries.  I'll try to keep a stockpile in Rm 111.  I would advise checking the battery level of the Flip before each student begins his/her speech (I once had the camera die in the middle of a presentation...not good); also bring a back-up pair of batteries with you to class.
  • At the end of each class day, I will upload all of the videos in the camera to the computer in Rm 111 closest to the door (next to where Heather sits).  The Flip software is very easy to use; please come by at your convenience and label your videos (section number and student name is usually enough).
  • Make sure that you email your students their videos (Molly and Haley, I can show you how to do this.)  Students have the opportunity to write a one-page self-review of their speeches for five points of extra credit.
  • As for grading the speeches:  Rubrics are in the TAC. You will notice that there are two rubrics to a page. In the past, when I've graded a student's speech, I used the one rubric to jot down notes and the other rubric to make my official marks that I gave back to the student.
  • Peer reviews...are kinds of a pain.  The forms are in the TAC.  In the past, we've administered a new PR form to students every day of speeches and asked them to review one of the days presenting students...It's a lot of paper, especially for something we're not even grading.  What do y'all think?
Enjoy your football Saturday.  I'll be in m room hiding from tailgaters  :-)



1 comment:

  1. Last semester I think we basically just gave the peer review forms to the students who were presenting that day. So, I have three students presenting tomorrow. They review each other. I think the reviews are useful, mostly based on the part where I might be focusing on delivery at a point when their peers are being confused by content.
    I told the students I consider the peer reviews part of "participation" and thus when we're getting to the end of the semester and awarding those 50 points, their participation in the class will include their willingness to provide useful critiques. I also like to look at them because they kind of jog my ancient memory about details I might have thought about but not marked.

    Molly and Haley should be prepared to warn the students that their vids are coming in since they are large files and might land in a spam filter if they forward their wiscmail to another utility.

    I though we required the self-reflection last year. ... I'm fine not grading it and just assigning "extra credit" though I need to figure out where to record that.

    ReplyDelete